Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Happy New Year - A Belated Greeting


Happy New Year
A Belated Greeting

I'm 71 days late in saying this, but... Happy New Year. This blog has lay dormant and I have a very valid excuse, which I shall share here and also sneak in some friendly advice. A new year is a time for new beginnings and that's exactly what interrupted my work. So, here's an update.

The House of Tystad moved locations in the month of January. For almost ten years, it resided on an east-sloping residential street in a suburban neighborhood. It took me quite a while to realize that, due to the way the sun set beyond the crest of the hill at the top of our street, we lived in a pre-dusk shadow that robbed us of a fair amount of daylight and thousands of sunsets. I can remember thinking many times as I looked at the sunlight still touching the tops of the trees on our block that if we lived at the top of the hill, the day wouldn't be over yet.

We're now situated in a terrific location that provides an unobstructed view of the entire western sky. Most of our windows face the west and we've been fortunate to see some of the most amazing sunsets you can imagine. I'm now lamenting how much beauty and how many daylight hours we missed in the past ten years.

What I've learned is that I should have taken action the moment I realized what I was missing. I could have started a tradition of spending as many late afternoon pre-sunset hours as possible at the local coffee house at the top of the hill. It seems obvious now, but it never occurred to me that just because our location wasn't ideal I still could have managed to enjoy the natural beauty that I value so much. If only I had just thought creatively.

The lesson here is to take charge and find a way to enjoy what you love. None of us are getting any younger and we absolutely must enjoy what we love before it's gone. The angel in the photo on this blog post is gone and so is the garden shed behind it. The soil where I planted flowers and vegetables is gone. And the rooms where my family grew and changed over the course of ten years are gone too.

The House of Tystad has moved and it's still changing. But now we have a whole new outlook and a whole new point of view every evening at sunset. I don't have any regrets, but I know that I can never accept less than a full day of what we've been given ever again. And that makes this a very happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment