Sunday, November 10, 2013

Countdown to Thanksgiving


I was invited to be one of author Terri Giuliano Long's guests during her "For the Love of Love" event and, fortunately for me, the topic I was asked to write about was food. Followers of this blog know how I feel about food and my contribution to Terri's event allowed me to get a little more specific. In anticipation of one of my favorite holidays, here it is again. Bon appetit.

For the Love of Food
by Todd R. Tystad

Most people agree that it was Socrates who first said, “One should eat to live, not live to eat.” Far be it from me to disagree with one of the world’s greatest thinkers, but I just have to wonder if we really can have it both ways. I propose, “Live to eat and share food with those you love.”

Love of food for me isn’t simply about the food itself. It’s about enjoying a multi-sensory experience with the people you share it with. We all need nourishment to survive, but sharing food with the people we love allows us to thrive.

When I think back to all of the food I’ve enjoyed with family and friends over a lifetime, it takes me back to the moments and experiences that make up the very fabric of who I am. I remember corn on the cob in my grandmother’s kitchen, scallops wrapped in bacon at a friend’s wedding, roasted red bell pepper soup with friends in the mountains, PB&J, Thanksgiving turkey… the list goes on.

I come from a family where love is expressed through the food that is served and, sometimes unfortunately, through the quantity of food on the plate. The events that are anticipated and planned most meticulously are the shared meals that give us a moment away from the world outside and allow us to break bread with the people we will hold in our hearts forever.

For me, the effort put into creating a meal and serving it to the people I care about is the best way to say, “I love you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment