Saturday, June 2, 2012

Making Everybody Happy


Author and blogger Beth Revis wrote a terrific post a couple of days ago that really got me thinking. She started out by saying that she has a friend who hates puppies. Hard to believe, but apparently there are people like that. Beth then mentions people hating Harry Potter, chocolate, and bacon (also hard to believe) before leading up to dealing with negative book reviews.

Her point is that no matter how great a book is - just like no matter how cute, cuddly, and adorable a puppy is - there will always be someone who doesn't like it. Beth is gentle in her approach, concluding with the idea that people are just different. I prefer to think of it as the problem dwelling within the puppy-hater, but that's just me.

The lesson I'm reminded of with Beth's post is that there is no way in the world that you can make everybody happy. It's a lesson I've tried to learn, sometimes successfully, sometimes not, and is one that I need reminded of occasionally. I'm glad Beth reminded me that people are different and you should never be surprised at what some people cannot stand.

But just for the record, I absolutely love puppies.

No comments:

Post a Comment