Saturday, April 21, 2012

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Peppers


In my continuing series of recipes from the House of Tystad kitchen, today I bring you something that you'll never forget. Fire up the grill and get set for peppers like you've never had them before.

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Peppers

small Jalapeno peppers
softened cream cheese
bacon
brown sugar
toothpicks

Clean, cut, and hollow out the peppers. Some people cut them in half lengthwise to make the stuffing process easier, but I like them whole. Also, tenderfoots like to blanch the peppers before stuffing them (which will aid in bringing down the heat of the peppers, as does the cooking process), but I prefer them au naturale.

The classic version of this recipe calls for the peppers to be breaded and fried. But at the House of Tystad, we believe that bacon makes anything better. And so it goes a little something like this...

Stuff each pepper with cream cheese, wrap it in bacon, roll it in brown sugar, and secure the bacon with a toothpick. Then, bake or grill the peppers until the bacon is fully cooked. I always use foil underneath because you never know how much the cream cheese will leak.

The beauty of this recipe is the brown sugar. If you get it right, the brown sugar will caramelize and create a sweet balance to the salt of the bacon and the spiciness of the peppers. I'd advise you to make a lot more than you think you'll need because they're going to be the most popular peppers at the party. Ole!





2 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I am going to have to steal your post to add it to the review I have wrote about your book Seven Moments in Time. The review will be posted live on Sunday. www.bunnysreview.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great. My recipe posts have been so popular it makes me think it's time for a cookbook.

      I'll look forward to your review. And thank you for all the tweets I've seen. I appreciate it very much.

      Here's to everyone joining us on Twitter: @ToddRTystad @kybunnies

      Delete