Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spring is Here

  
Spring is Here
by Todd R. Tystad

Unfortunate news for the skiers and snowboarders among us is the fact that spring has, undeniably, arrived in our fair burg. Signs are everywhere and even though the possibility of snow and icy cold winds will remain for a few weeks, the worst of an uncharacteristically mild winter is over. Whine if you must, but spring has arrived here in the Midwest.

Those who know me well know how fond I am of the climate in Southern California. I spent the better part of 15 years honoring the changing of the seasons by making hard decisions like whether to wear a short or long-sleeved t-shirt, whether I could eat outside, and whether it was an SPF 15 or 30 day. If I ever wanted to remember what winter felt like, I'd head up to the Bay Area for an afternoon.

Now that I'm in the final stretch of a long haul in America's heartland, I watch carefully for any sign that the awful Season of the Dead (a.k.a. winter) is on its way out. I celebrate every indication that winter could be over. At this very moment I can see baby blades of grass struggling to rise up above last year's growth, lilac leaf buds preparing to burst open, and clouds of pollen telling me that it's time for authentic warm weather.

With spring's new growth comes our traditional occasions that symbolize new life and freedom. Easter and Passover are only weeks away and as we all prepare for the time we'll spend with our families and friends, I'd like to share some reminders that will help us all make it to summer without any gloom, despair, divorce, or assault charges.

First of all, please remember that we all have to put up with some crazy relatives at holiday meals sometimes. If we didn't, it wouldn't seem at all like a holiday meal. Secondly, please do not give baby rabbits, chicks, or ducklings to children as gifts. Few households are suited to safely adopting such animals and giving a plush pet is a much better choice. Seriously. And finally, get outside and enjoy the weather while you can. Like Mom always said, there's no reason to stay cooped up in the house all day when there's beautiful weather outside.

Celebrate spring. Celebrate family. Celebrate the fact that you don't need to hide indoors for fear of frostbite or collapsed lungs. Spring is here. Now go out and do something about it.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning again Todd
    Our weather has been so strange this last couple of years. Winter in Ca this year has been pretty much non-existent except on the weekends. Where we have rain on the days when we are off and beautiful sunshine when we are stuck at work.
    Oh well. Enjoy your beautiful day!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. Many years ago I decided that if a beautiful day were ever to occur in midweek during Miserable Season, I'd just take a personal day and go wild. The problem is that I'm always so busy with work that I've never actually done it. It's a good plan though. Keep it in mind.

    I'm sending good vibes your way for the 10 Freeway,
    Todd

    ReplyDelete