Saturday, October 29, 2011

Variety is the Spice of Life

Variety is Good

November 1st marks the start of "Adopt an Indie" month, an entire month of celebrating independently published books and their authors. I'm proud to say that Blue Hill will be one of the featured selections for the event and that I'll be contributing an opening blog post to get things started on Tuesday.

With all due respect to Stephen King and everyone else sitting at the big table, indie authors are an enthusiastic and hungry lot and they've got some big ideas. Like the independent filmmakers and musicians that came before them, indie authors are determined to tell their stories. New technology has transformed the publishing industry and the dust hasn't even begun to settle.

"Independent" is sometimes described as "out of the mainstream." Indie artists have provided variety to audiences that wouldn't have been possible otherwise. If you enjoy a change of pace and are looking for something a little different than usual, remember the artists who are bucking the system and bringing some variety to the party. They're the indies and they believe that variety is the spice of life.

3 comments:

  1. I was just having a talk about indie authors with a friend on Google+ and something she said reminded me of one of my favorite poems. I couldn't help but share it here.

    "The Road Not Taken" (1915) by Robert Frost

    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth.

    Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same.

    And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.

    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd, My mother just told me about your new book. Congratulations! I'm working on a creative writing degree at Creighton and could not be happier for you. I'll be reading Blue Hill! I'm proud of you. Tam Rager

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tam: Many thanks! I had no idea where you were. We need to get together and talk about writing. I haven't seen you on Facebook... have you abandoned FB for Google+?

    ReplyDelete