Saturday, September 10, 2011

9/11


On the eve of the ten-year anniversary of September 11, 2001, I can't help but think back to the way things were a decade ago. I had just begun celebrating some big family changes and it's no exaggeration that my life was perfect. Like many people, I'll never forget the morning of 9/11/01. I was listening to the radio and getting ready for school. And then I heard the news. No one had any idea how everything would change from that moment on.

Working through grief involves denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance and everyone has to travel the journey at their own pace. What I remember seeing ten years ago was that regardless of where a person was in the grieving process, a feeling of national unity and pride was growing day by day. There were occasional moments of friction, but what I'll never forget is seeing an entire country align collectively as if to say, "We're Americans and we can get through this together." We were proud. It's sad to see that today, many of us have lost that feeling.

What I want for my community today and for our country tomorrow is a return to the feeling that we are indeed one family with the same hopes, dreams, and accomplishments that we can be proud of. We pulled together a decade ago and we can certainly do it again. Pride is a wonderful thing and the great thing about our country is that we have a lot to be proud of.

As we begin to observe a tragic anniversary, let's focus on what makes our country great and use that feeling to restore our national pride. We're a very fortunate people and after we grieve together, we can celebrate together. Let's look forward and be proud of who we are and what we can accomplish together.

No comments:

Post a Comment