Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Trader Joe's

It was only a matter of time until I felt a need to bring up the name of my favorite store in the whole world... Trader Joe's. (Sorry, IKEA, you're too far away to love on a regular basis.) For the uninitiated, Trader Joe's is a nationwide chain of specialty grocery stores that started out in southern California in the late 1960s. They carry far fewer items than a regular grocery store and most of what they have is sold under one of their own brand names. Items with the Trader Joe's label contain no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, contain no MSG or trans fats, and are made from non-genetically modified ingredients.

I have a long, long list of favorites at Trader Joe's, but my current must-have is something that I'm eating right now. They're called aebleskiver and are more commonly known as Danish pancakes. They're round instead of flat and they are unbelievably tasty. I've never made them myself, so the fact that I can get them in the frozen food section at Trader Joe's means that I don't have to. Paired with some Trader Joe's mango chunks (also sold frozen), they make a breakfast that you won't forget.

I've written in this blog about the many things in life that can provide a person with inspiration. Added to my list of music, film, and a walk with the dog should be aebleskiver with mango chunks. Honestly, I can't think of anything I'd rather have for breakfast. Thank you, Trader Joe.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, Trader Joe's! I get my pear hard cider, peanut butter, and chicken-rawhide treats (for the dog of course) there. The necessities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say that a person can just reach up and grab anything off of any shelf at Trader Joe's and it'll be awesome. Every visit is a new adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Trader Joe's list of loves is long but one I recommend is the frozen Tom Yam soup. I buy at least five each trip because they don't always have it in stock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard of Tom Yam soup, but I just looked it up and it looks and sounds amazing. I was planning to go to TJ's this morning, so I'll be sure to look for it. Thanks for the tip and thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete