Friday, June 24, 2011

Motorcycles: Mind, Body, and Spirit


It's been a while since I've been on a motorcycle, but this week I decided to get back into it and got myself a bike. This apparently surprised a few people who didn't know what an interest I have in riding. It had never come up that I've owned motorcycles in the past and, at one point, had only two wheels to get around all of Los Angeles. To explain myself, I'd like to offer the following perspective.

As background, I should tell you that I've never been an athlete, but I've always been around athletes. Not having the physical proficiency to compete in anything more than a clumsy round of golf, I will confess to always having envied my friends who played sports and especially the ones who played them well. I knew what an athletic pursuit looked like, I just didn't know what total mind and body focus felt like.

When I started riding motorcycles, I experienced for the first time in my life being completely and totally engaged in an activity, both physically and mentally. I finally knew the state of being that gave such pleasure to my friends who had been playing sports. Operating a motorcycle and sharing the road with other drivers - especially in L.A. traffic - is a challenge that requires the ultimate level of concentration and coordination. And it's totally invigorating.

So now that I am, as some might say, old enough to know better, I still choose to ride a motorcycle - and I ride it safely. It truly is as satisfying as anything I've ever experienced. Riding a motorcycle is not for everyone. But for me, it's like playing in the championship game every time I ride.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. That bike looks sweet. You reminded me my old riding days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, thanks for following my blog. I'm happy to have another follower, but even happier to know about your "Mythik Imagination #1." That sounds right up my alley. I'll look for it.

    ReplyDelete