Monday, May 30, 2011

Looking for the Moments


So anyway, back to creativity breeds creativity and art fosters art... and then you couple that with the idea that we need to pay attention to the moments that come unexpectedly and allow us to look within ourselves and realize who we are in the world... (See? These blog posts really are connected in a thoughtful and coherent way after all.) I come to this salient point: We've got to pay attention, especially to the people around us and to the world we live in. If we don't, then we've become busy dying instead of becoming busy living.

I've heard from friends who mention moments on a farm, moments alone on a deck with a cup of coffee, and moments watching mammoth trees swaying in the breeze. These friends know exactly what I'm talking about and we've shared those moments through this blog. The shared theme in these moments is nature and, although I like to poke fun, nature connects us all - even though I prefer to experience it from the inside of a large picture window. Nature always presents itself, we just have to be paying attention.

Nature may be God's handiwork, but I really am partial to her young and hopeful apprentice, humanity. From the dawn of time, people have been creating art. I'd like to believe that art nourishes us with an unspoken message: "Here is some art. Enjoy it. Now, get out and create some more art of your own." And this, I believe, is just as important as enjoying and responding to the moments we experience in nature.

So make a point to enjoy some art. Listen to some music and later, watch a movie. Visit a museum or check in on a website that brings art directly to you. There are countless moments that are waiting and won't be discovered unless you make the effort to look for them. No one knows what you can create until a moment moves you to inspiration. Make art a part of your life, watch for those moments that speak just to you, and respond in kind by creating something that provides someone else a moment that they'll remember. It's all a matter of consciously looking for those moments and then making them relevant in your life. Just keep looking.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (Ferris Bueller's Day Off, written and directed by John Hughes, 1986)

6 comments:

  1. Todd, A couple of weeks ago I went to the Dunham Museum in Omaha with a friend. There is an exhibit of the Pulitzer Prize winning photos since the first was awarded in 1942. It is amazing! The photos truly captured "moments". Many that I wish hadn't happened but remind me that humanity can be both kind and cruel. I would highly recommend it. I am going back to take Steve. Just a thought... (It is in a large air-conditioned building... teehee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of photography - how did you know? And I've only been to the Dunham Museum once, so I'm way overdue to go again. With all the free time I have coming up, maybe I can go more than once. As long as the air conditioning is on.

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brent and I recently watched Hotel Rwanda. Don Cheadle was so excellent in his role. This was such a moving and emotional film. When it was over, Brent said "What in the world were we all doing back then that this was allowed to happen?" Good question. I think this was a successful piece of art as I found myself thinking about the movie for several days afterward. The written summary of the movie on the Netflix envelope compared the Rwandan situation to the Holocaust. Sad, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susie, I'm glad you mentioned Hotel Rwanda. I've often wondered if it was something I needed to see. I'm a huge Don Cheadle fan and it's one of the few movies he's in that I haven't seen - yet. I'll put it on my queue. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the phrase " young and hopeful apprentice, humanity". Great concept, Todd!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you liked that, Starla. Those theological moments just pop up now and again unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete